Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court

I have been seperated from my husband for the last two years.

I have been seperated from my husband for the last two years. We were married for twenty years. I am the one who left so he is still living in the marital home. We have both agreed to sell the house and to get half each. The lock to the security door has been changed so I no longer have a key. When I asked him if I could get some things of mine that are still in the house he said I would have to wait to when he would be home to let me in. I am still waiting two months later. I suppose the question I am asking is what is the legal situation to me no longer having a key and do I have the right to ever enter the house?

Your home, you can go there when you want.

You can also break into the home actually, as it is your home.

I would ask him in writing to enter into the home and pick up your belongings to start the divorce proceedings on a good foot.

Please accept.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your prompt reply. It helps me to know that I am allowed to go there when I want. I want to give him his privacy so of course I have given him prior warning but now he is just not happy about me going there at all. Now the lock is changed I can't get in at all Breaking in isn't an option. Is he legally bound to give me a copy of the new key?