Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I have paid an amount of $1000 into the wrong account number.

Customer Question

I have paid an amount of $1000 into the wrong account number. I reported this immediately and the ANZ bank requested to the Commonwealth bank to recall the payment. This was unsucccessfull and the ANZ sent me a letter saying this. They also said that I need to sek independant legal advice if I want to pursue the matter. I have the account number that the maoney was transferred to but the bank can not give me details of the receipient. Is there a way to pursure this?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 3 years ago.
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your question. To Introduce myself I am a sydney based Solicitor and will do my best to provide you with relevant information to assist you.

Has the Commonwealth Bank provided a letter saying that the recipient of the money is refusing to give the money back?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I have only had a letter from the ANZ bank saying " Our attempts with the recipient to recall the above amount have been unsuccessful"

Expert:  Leon replied 3 years ago.
Good Afternoon

You need to go to the CBA and lodge a complaint and have them contact the owner of the account and request that they refund the money.

Do this in writing. Once you get a response that they refuse then you can report the matter to the police and have the police charge the person for fraud.

It is ridiculous that they will not assist and simply take the money back.

You have to go through the process. Also you can lodge a complain against the CBA for not contacting the owner of the account and giving you their details to the Financial Service ombudsman.

http://www.fos.org.au/centric/home_page.jsp

It is a long process but you have to go to the bank.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?