Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
Experience:  I did my law degree at the University of Queensland
17651911

I have a primary teaching qualification in NSW and was medically

Customer Question

I have a primary teaching qualification in NSW and was medically retired from teaching in 2005 (after a 30 year career). I have applied to NSW Teacher Recruitment for approval to engage in limited (2-3 days/ week) casual teaching and have very positive reports from treating doctors (GP and Specialist). NSW Staffing has declined to grant my approval. For more than a month I have been phoning and emailing the Staffing Unit (high level managers) just requesting INFORMATION ABOUT THE APPEALS PROCESS related to the decision. I am being stone-walled. No email or phone contact at all. What else can I do? Everyone is entitled to transparent, due process and making an appeal related to the decision of a government department is no exception, is it?. Please advise? Best Wishes Bev Denley
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Brisbane-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I am being stone-walled. No email or phone contact at all. What else can I do?

Your best option would be to get the NSW Ombudsman involved to find out why they have not provided you with any information on the appeals process (if there is one). I suggest you call (02) 9286 1000 to make a complaint. Once the Ombudsman's office starts looking into this, they will likely stop stone walling you, but will not change their decision. I suspect they simply don't want you in that role.

Should you have any other questions, please let me know.

If you're satisfied with the results of your question, then I'll ask you to please provide positive feedback so that I will get credit for the time spent on your question. Your question can continue even after you leave positive feedback, so if you have any follow up questions please don't be afraid to ask.
Experience: I did my law degree at the University of Queensland
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Alex,

I have just spoken with the Office of the NSW Ombudsman and it turns out that your advice that they would be the most appropriate avenue for me to pursue in not correct.

They cannot be involved because they do not deal with employment related issues.

The Office of the Ombudsman has advised that I need to contact the NSW Industrial Relations Tribunal by phoning 131628 and so I will do that. bev

Its isn't really an employment related issue though, because you haven't been employed. You are only after information regarding their appeals process.

The other way to go about it would be to make a Freedom of Information request.