Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
Experience:  I did my law degree at the University of Queensland
17651911

Whilst at work in an Immigration Detention Centre in Darwin,

Whilst at work in an Immigration Detention Centre in Darwin, I was assaulted by a refugee in 2011. He was found guilty and a conviction recorded, he appealed against the conviction as it would effect his chances of getting a Visa. this was granted via the County Court, I objected as an Australian Citizen, it has been review, 30 May 2013, (Judge stating Dept of Immigration and Australian Citizenship (DIAC) contributed to the aggression due to the length of time he was in Detention) and No Conviction. Am I able to sue the Refugee or DIAC for Damages being a victim of crime ? If so, which law court should I do this through ? Because I live in Cairns Qld, can I initiate it from here or does it have to be through and NT court ?
Am I able to sue the Refugee or DIAC for Damages being a victim of crime ?

You should be able to make a claim for criminal compensation to the NT Crime Victims Services Unit who can be reached on 1800 460 363. Call that number and ask them to post out an Application to you. You will need the police report and medical reports to support your claim.

Should you have any other questions, please let me know.

If you're satisfied with the results of your question, then I'll ask you to please provide positive feedback so that I will get credit for the time spent on your question. Your question can continue even after you leave positive feedback, so if you have any follow up questions please don't be afraid to ask.