Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

hi my son had a policy he purchased with aami last year and

Customer Question

hi my son had a policy he purchased with aami last year and he had a accident.. he had to pay the basic excess for it and also unlisted driver under 24 ... the odd thing is that he owns the policy and it is in his name ... I was a listed driver on his car aswell ... would I have a case to argue thanks rachel
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 4 years ago.
Good Morning

Thank you for your question. To Introduce myself I am a sydney based Solicitor and will do my best to provide you with relevant information to assist you.

He disclosed to them when he took out the policy that he was under 24 and he paid the correct premium?

He was also the driver of the vehicle at the time of the accident?

Can you also confirm that they are now saying they will not pay because he was under 24 and are they alleging that they did not know this?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when he took out the policy he gave them all of his details including age etc. im sure he, like myself assumed that if you own the policy that you will be driving the car .. as for the correct premium we are not sure to what price it was or should have been he just paid it .they have payed for the other car to fixed and he has paid his excess ..standard of $625 and unlisted driver under 24 $1400 ..because they are saying he wasnt listed but owns the policy ...

Expert:  Leon replied 4 years ago.
Good Afternoon,

Did he complete the application online or did he do it over the phone?

I find what they are arguing to be completely ridiculous.

I assume that he would have said to them that he was be the driver of the vehicle.

I think this is a matter that should be referred to the Financial Services Ombudsman and the insurance company will have to abide by his decision.

As the owner of the car and the insured it would be deemed that she would be the driver.

I also believe it would have asked whether any driver of the vehicle would be under 24 on the application and he would have said yes.

Would you like me to give you the details of the Financial Services Ombudsman?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

im sure it was over the phone . it is stupid i wouldnt buy a policy in my name and not drive the car ... yes please ill see what they have to say regards to this as im sure if this is correct with the insurance companys im sure everyone else needs to be told that it needs to be addressed that the policy holder will be driving thanks rachel murray

Expert:  Leon replied 4 years ago.
Good Afternoon

The following link is to the Ombudsman

http://www.fos.org.au/centric/home_page.jsp

I would take this further.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no all good thanks for your help hopefully he will get $800.00 back

regs rachel

Expert:  Leon replied 4 years ago.
Good Afternoon

You are welcome and good luck.

I hope this is of assistance. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know before leaving any feedback.

If I have assisted please do not forget to leave me with positive feedback.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi can this question still be answered or do i need to pay again

Expert:  Leon replied 3 years ago.
Good Morning,

My apologies I thought we had completed the question and that is why I sent you the page for you to rate my work and for me to be paid.

Do you have any further questions relating to this issue?
Expert:  Leon replied 3 years ago.

Good Evening

Just following up from our last discussion. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Expert:  Leon replied 3 years ago.

Good Evening,

I'm just following up our discussion earlier this week and seeing whether there is anything else I can assist you with.

I look forward to hearing from you.