Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

Is online gambling legal for players in Australia?

Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning,

Thank you for your question. To Introduce myself I am a sydney based Solicitor and will do my best to provide you with relevant information to assist you.

Are you asking whether it is legal for you to gamble online?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I were in Australia, then would it be legal for me to place bets online?

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,

Yes it is legal for you to place bets online.

You are able to even buy lottery tickets online.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it true that any gambling winnings in Australia are not taxable, because it's not considered a profession in Australia?

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,

If you gamble for a living and this is your primary source of income then it is taxable.

If you gamble now and then such as playing Lotto, going to the casino once in awhile and it is not your prime source of income then your winnings are tax-free.

Only if it is your profession and your primary source of income are your winnings taxable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You've answered my questions completely and in a satisfactory way.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning,

I'm happily been of assistance, and if there is anything else I can assist you with in the future please do not hesitate to contact me.

I hope this is of assistance. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know before leaving any feedback.

If I have assisted please do not forget to leave me with positive feedback.

Leon, Solicitor
Experience: BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)