How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 42220
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Obtaining 6-month ourist visa for Italian citizens

This answer was rated:

i'm an Italian citizen and have some questions regarding the visa requirement for my intended six-month visit to Australia as a tourist 1. Must this visa be secured prior to arrival in Australia? 2. Is the visa available online or must I visit an Australian consulate? 3. If I must visit an Australian consulate and I'm travelling in Canada, the U.S. or Ecuador, is it possible to visit any Australian consulate in any of those countries in order to secure the visa? 4. In addition to my passport and visa, what additional documentation must I have upon arrival in Australia (e.g., is proof of health insurance required?)? 5. How long might it typically take for the visa to be approved and issued? Thank you.

Good Morning

Thank you for your question. To Introduce myself I am a sydney based Solicitor and will do my best to provide you with relevant information to assist you.

The visa you need is a Subclass 600. If you apply for 6 months when you are outside australia you have to be outside when the visa is approved.

If you enter on an electronic visa you will get that automatically when you enter but you can only stay for 3 moths. You can then apply for an extention of 3 months before the electronic visa expires.

You will need to remain in Australia until the 600 is approved.

The following link provides you with the relevant information.

You can download the form online and then you can post it or deliver it to the authorised department.

Depending on the country you are in when you apply will determine where you lodge the application if you decide to apply for the 600 initially.

You should have your insurance with just in case something happens. The authorities will not necessarily ask for evidence of it but you should have it.

I cannot say how long it will take. It depends on where it is lodged and how busy they are. They will give you an indication when you lodge the visa.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just researched the Subclass 600 you referred to and saw information suggesting that what I would specifically apply for is the Subclass 676.


Are we talking about the same thing here?


And are you certain that a full 6-month visa (subclass 676) can't be approved from outside the country, without the need to first apply for a three-month period and then, later, secure the three-month extension from within Australia? I may be wrong but I thought the 676 permitted the prior approval of the full six-month period.

Good Morning

The 676 is not taking new applications from the 23 March 2013. If you have not applied by that date you cannot apply.

The link from the department is as follows and clearly indicates this.

You can only consider the 600.

Is this a little clearer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for that; I had trouble accessing that link but will keep trying.


And to I correct that the three-month extension should be a formality for upstanding citizens and that I would not need to appear physically at an Australian consulate for the 3-month visa but could rather secure it online?

In relation to the links, you will need to copy what I have sent you and paste it into a new address bar and it will come up.

For some reason clicking on the link does not work.

My understanding with the subclass 600, provided you applying for an extension of 3 months before your electronic Visa expires it should be no problem.

If you wish to apply for the these are before you arrive to Australia, you were best to make an application for a six-month Visa under the Subclass 600 and then you do not have to do anything when you arrive in Australia.

I do not believe you can apply online. The application form must be physically lodged with the appropriate consulate.

There is no avenue to complete and file your application online.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My final followup (thanks for the help): if I am not permitted to apply online for the visa and am travelling abroad, am I correct that I can simply go to my nearest Australian consulate (in whichever country I happen to be located) in order to obtain the visa...and that I do not have to go to the Australian consulate in my home country?

Good Afternoon,

You will need to speak with the Consulate you launch your application with about collecting your Visa once approved in another location.

If you apply when you are outside of Australia the only requirement is that you must not be in Australia when your Visa granted.

Generally you must be in the country that you applied for the Visa when the Visa is granted but if that is not possible I believe you can make arrangements with the consulate to collect your Visa elsewhere.

But you need to discuss this with them.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks again. That covers it.

Good Morning,

I'm Happy to been of assistance and if I can assist you in the future please do not hesitate to contact me.

I hope this is of assistance. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know before leaving any feedback.

If I have assisted please do not forget to leave me with positive feedback.

Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 42220
Experience: BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Leon and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Deborah Awyzio

    Deborah Awyzio


    Satisfied Customers:

    Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Deborah Awyzio's Avatar

    Deborah Awyzio


    Satisfied Customers:

    Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
  • Sean's Avatar


    Experienced lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Law degree with 1st class honours from Australian National University.
  • JamesG's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Admitted Lawyer of the Supreme Court of New South Wales. Practising in Victoria.
  • Darren Kruse's Avatar

    Darren Kruse


    Satisfied Customers:

    Practising in in Personal Injury, Workcover, Civil Disputes, Family, Wills and Estates and Criminal law.
  • Brisbane.Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer of the Federal and High Courts of Australia; Lawyer of the Supreme Court of Qld
  • kmslaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 15 years legal experience behind me and I graduated from the University of Sydney with First Class Honours in Arts/Law.
  • Jared Pereira's Avatar

    Jared Pereira


    Satisfied Customers:

    Principal Solicitor at Pivot Business Lawyers