How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Leon Your Own Question

Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 39165
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi im due to appear in childers magistrates court on the 19th

Customer Question

Hi im due to appear in childers magistrates court on the 19th of july in relation to a charge of disqualified driving.
due to the fact that I am in the process of moving back to wa and will not have the financial means to return for this hearing. I am going to write to the court and ask that if possible they deal with the matter in my absence.

My question is to whom should I address this letter to and are there surtan things that I need to state in the letter.
thanks for your help Jaydon
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning,

Thank you for your question. To Introduce myself I am a sydney based Solicitor and will do my best to provide you with relevant information to assist you.

Are you going to be entering a plea of guilty to the offence?

When do you actually believe for Western Australia? Have you considered approaching the court and asking for the matter to be brought forward so that it can be dealt while you are present?

The reason I asked the last question, is because it is always better if you appear because the court sees this as you accepting responsibility for your actions and this is in your favour.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi yes I will be pleading guilty to the charge. in relation to moving back to wa I am already in the process of doing that. I am currently in Brisbane and will be leaving within the next few days. the court in childers is 4 hours north of Brisbane. is it likely that they will deal with this matter in my absence if I ask them to do so and plead guilty. thanks Jaydon

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,

They will deal with this matter in your absence and you will need to complete a document where you enter a plea of guilty and put to the court your mitigating circumstances (what they should consider in giving you a lighter sentence).

You should contact the course and advise them that she will not be available and will like to make a written plea of guilty directly to the Magistrate on the day.

They will be able to tell you what documents you need to complete and whether it is the practice to deal with people in their absence.

While you are speaking with them, I would suggest that you consider asking if they can bring the matter forward and you make your way to the court and appear before the magistrate.

In your absence you may be given the full disqualification period which means you will not be able to drive in Western Australia until the disqualification period expires. If you try and obtain a Western Australian licence during your disqualification period, if it is discovered it is the same as being caught driving whilst disqualified.

The court will deal with your matter in your absence but you should speak to them and confirm exactly what the requirements are.

Do you have the court details, if not, can you tell me the name of the court and I will provide them to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ive got all the details of the courts location as it was listed on the notice to appear that the police handed me at the time of the offence.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,

You can contact the court and confirm the requirements for you pleading guilty in your absence.

You should also contact the prosecutor and advise them of what you are doing and send them a copy of the letter you sent to the court.

The prosecutors are usually attached to the police station but the court will be able to give you their address.

In short you can plead guilty and not appear, but you must speak to the court and get details of the requirements to do so.

Notifying the prosecutor just makes it easier said that the matter moves along smoothly.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not at the moment that pretty much answers everything I need to know for now thanks for your help

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,

You're very welcome and I'm happy at all been of assistance.

If there is anything else I can assist you with please not hesitate to contact me.

I hope this is of assistance. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know before leaving any feedback.

If I have assisted please do not forget to leave me with positive feedback.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Last | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Deborah Awyzio


    Satisfied Customers:

    Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Deborah Awyzio's Avatar

    Deborah Awyzio


    Satisfied Customers:

    Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
  • Sean's Avatar


    Experienced lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Law degree with 1st class honours from Australian National University.
  • Darren Kruse's Avatar

    Darren Kruse


    Satisfied Customers:

    Practising in in Personal Injury, Workcover, Civil Disputes, Family, Wills and Estates and Criminal law.
  • Brisbane.Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer of the Federal and High Courts of Australia; Lawyer of the Supreme Court of Qld
  • at Makdap 500x500 pixels.64x64.jpg kmslegalservice's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 14 years legal experience behind me and I graduated from the University of Sydney with First Class Honours in Arts/Law.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Patrick H.'s Avatar

    Patrick H.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Chat Now With A Solicitor
Solicitor and Notary
20279 Satisfied Customers
BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)