Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

hello, i am a member of a social club and need to know about

Customer Question

hello, i am a member of a social club and need to know about our responsibilities- we run a Joker Wild and meat tray raffles. we don,t have a consitution, we hire a jump castle , the money raised is used for trips away, some alcohol, meat, BBQ's for our members and we do donate money to other clubs. can you help or do we need to contact someone else
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your question. To Introduce myself I am a sydney based Solicitor and will do my best to provide you with relevant information to assist you.

Are you able to tell me whether you are a registered association or just simply a group of people that get together?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We are noy regestered, just a group(37) of people

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning

Because you are not registered you are putting yourselves at risk and you could be breaking the law in the collection of funds and you may be personally liable for income tax.

You will need to get yourselves registered and also apply for tax free status if you collect money for charitable purposes.

You can register through the Office of Fair Trading in QLD.

http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/incorporated-associations.htm

You will need to speak to an accountant and also a Solicitor in QLD about getting your tax status correct and also having a proper constitution drafted based on what you wish to do.

You also need to take out appropriate insurances just in case someone is hurt at your functions.

Would you like me to provide you with the details of the Law Society so you can get a referral to a Solicitor that can assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how much is this going to cost us we might have to just take a step back and pay for our own trips etc

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,

I cannot confirm what is going to cost you will need to speak to the solicitor about this.

I can give you the law society details and they can refer you to solicitor that can help.

The registration process is fairly straightforward he can attend at the Department of fair trading and they will give you the application forms.

The constitution and setting up your tax returns you will need to speak to the solicitor and the accountant they will charge you.

Would you like me to refer you to the Law Society in relation to getting your solicitor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks we need to get this sorted

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,

The Law Society website is as follows:

http://www.qls.com.au

They will provide you with the names and details of solicitors that practice in commercial law there will then be able to give you estimate of costs and what else you need to do.

As I said to register the association is not difficult it can be done directly through the Department of Fair Trading

Is the constitution that you need to have correctly drafted to allow you to have charitable status and once this is done and the Will be able to deal with the Australian taxation office and get you a charitable status for tax purposes.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?