Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
Experience:  I did my law degree at the University of Queensland
17651911

Re. reciprocal Australia/Italy healthcare agreement

Re. the reciprocal Australia/Italy healthcare agreement:

If one is a citizen of Italy but is resident in Canada, would the presentation of the Italian passport upon arrival as a tourist in Australia be considered adequate documentation for Australian Medicare coverage during the 6-month stay (via the reciprocal AU/IT agreement) or is it mandatory that additional documentation be shown?

If more than just the passport is required for the Medicare coverage, would the Italian passport alone be accepted for emergency (and 'no cost') treatment of injuries sustained, for example, in a vehicle accident?

Thanks!

There is no need for further documentation. All you need to do is prove you are an Italian citizen, and your Italian passport would suffice for that. So that is all you need.

Should you have any other questions, please let me know.

If you're satisfied with the results of your question, then I'll ask you to please provide positive feedback so that I will get credit for the time spent on your question. Your question can continue even after you leave positive feedback, so if you have any follow up questions please don't be afraid to ask.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, Alex.

I'd read that, when landing in Australia as a tourist and applying to be covered by Medicare during one's stay, it may be necessary to provide the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

Just so I'm clear: upon arriving in Australia, are you confirming that I'd not need to possessed the EHIC but would be able to have Medicare coverage for the duration of my 6-month stay with only the presentation of my Italian passport?

Thank you.

The passport itself is enough. Obviously if you have a EHIC that you can show them, they can make note of that. But it wouldn't preclude you from Medicare coverage if you don't.