Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
Experience:  I did my law degree at the University of Queensland
17651911

Hello there, I am a medical receptionist. I have had ongoing

Customer Question

Hello there, I am a medical receptionist. I have had ongoing upsetting challenges from my lady practice manager for many months now. Much of this impact is already documented with my doctor and psychologist, but I have not yet taken any legal action.
On Friday the PM (practice manager) pulled me away from reception into a room and began to explain that I had done something a week back (charged a third party company for a medical report and then not sent the report) - that I didn't believe I'd done.
She insisted I had processed this payment, and also proceeded to tell me that I have been missing alot of things lately.
I started to ask if she had seen the eftpos receipt for the payment and which staff members writing was on it. She was unable to tell me. I asked what are these other things I have missed and she indicated that she'd tell me next week.
As I realised that I knew very little about this payment I became upset, confused and intimidated because she was speaking to me in a bit of a cocky/big brother kind of manner. She even at one stage blamed some medication that she knows I take.
This conversation ended up going onto other topics and I found myself being able to tell her that she has upset me in the past. She responded well and wanted to know more. I felt good about this and the conversation actually ended on a positive note.
Later in the day I went and checked our banking records and could see that I had not ever charged this client, another staff member had and it wasn't a week ago it was the day prior. I became upset again because I felt like she had tried to convince me I had done something wrong when I hadn't - it was there in the books in black and white. So I emailed her and let her know what I had found in a factual manner.

I got no reply prior to my home time, to the final email we exchanged, which provided her with further information about the transaction.

We live in a regional town and today I bumped into her at the shops, we greeted one another normally. I asked her if she found the receipt as she had previously alluded that she would check over the weekend. She said she hasn’t gone into work yet (to look for it), but that I shouldn’t worry about it. I replied that I am worried about it. She said went on to explain that there was this other transaction on the 8th that it might have been mixed up with. I asked her “don’t you check before confronting and upsetting someone?” she said “I was just going off what I was told”. I said in an angry tone “you looked me in the eyes and told me multiple times that I did this. That’s completely inappropriate". She walked off saying that she may as well kill herself.

This is the first time I have ever stood up to her with this issue. Now I am afraid that she 1. May indeed hurt herself, should I call the authorities? 2. Try to say that I am a bully.

Please any feedback good bad or indifferent would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Emily
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Brisbane-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Calling the authorities would be premature and would make the situation worse. She made a mistake which upset you, but you also responded to it badly by raising this with her in the shops. I understand why you were upset though. Being blamed for something you never did is not fun, and everyone's first instinct will be to vigorously defend themself.

Basically at this stage I think the both of you are ready to forget about this and move forward. As such, in my view, unless she raises this issue again, I don't think you should.

Should you have any other questions, please let me know.

If you're satisfied with the results of your question, then I'll ask you to please provide positive feedback so that I will get credit for the time spent on your question. Your question can continue even after you leave positive feedback, so if you have any follow up questions please don't be afraid to ask.