Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
Experience:  I did my law degree at the University of Queensland
17651911

My 89 year old Dad was ill and put in hospital. On the first

Customer Question

My 89 year old Dad was ill and put in hospital. On the first night in the ward he became violent. The hospital called and wanted a family member there. My brother and I went down to the hospital late in the evening. He was being held down by 2 security guards and a wards man. The nurses couldn't give him medicine orally so I had to. They also gave him an injection. He was transferred to a private room at which time the security guards left and my brother and I were left trying to keep Dad in bed. In the process I was punched in the head by Dad. I told the nurses. No help came. I went back in to Dad and was then kicked in the head. Still no security guards or nurses were present. They were then transfering him to the aged care ward, at which time the security guards returned. Dad was still trying to be violent being held down by 2 security guards, myself and brother. He attempted to kick me in the head again (this time missed) and I walked out. My question is why were we placed in a violent situation? Isn't it the role of the hospital to sedate out of control patients? Can I sue the hospital for placing me in dangerous position?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Brisbane-Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
My question is why were we placed in a violent situation? Isn't it the role of the hospital to sedate out of control patients? Can I sue the hospital for placing me in dangerous position?

You would have a very promising case if you did sue the hospital over this, and I recommend you do so.

Obviously you would need a lawyer to assist with this, but depending on where in New South Wales you reside I may be able to recommend a good solicitor who could help. Just let me know if you're interested.

If you're satisfied with the results of your question, then I'll ask you to please provide positive feedback so that I will get credit for the time spent on your question.

Why have you rated my service as bad? Was it because I was honest with you?