Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

Parents property has been for sale for sometime. Father has

Parents property has been for sale for sometime. Father has now had a heart attack and is in hospital and can't sign a sale contract. No Power of Attorney in place. Mother can still sign. What can we do?
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your question. To Introduce myself I am a sydney based Solicitor and will do my best to provide you with relevant information to assist you.

On what basis is he unable to sign is he not able to understand or he has lost sensation in his hand that the uses to sign?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He is not currently concious and is unaware that a buyer has even been found.
Good Morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your situation and must be quite distressing for all.

You are able to make an application with VCAT to be given an order of guardianship and financial management which will permit a person who is granted that order, being yourself or your mother, to execute any documents on behalf of your father.

The following link is from VCAT about making an application. I also believe you can download the form from the site.

http://www.vcat.vic.gov.au/disputes/guardians-administrators/Array/guardianship-and-administration-act-1986-applications

The treating doctor will also have to provide a report.

I am not sure how long the process will take. You will need to contact VCAT.

I hope this is of assistance. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know before leaving any feedback.

If I have assisted please do not forget to leave me with positive feedback.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much for your help.
Good afternoon,

You are very welcome and I hope it all goes well.

If there is anything else I can help you with please do not hesitate to contact me.