Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
Experience:  I did my law degree at the University of Queensland

A small social club of 43 members that raised money for the

A small social club of 43 members that raised money for the Lions and aged care in Blackbutt. Because of acusations against the treasurer and secretary that were unfounded a meeting was held on 4/5 during this meeting 7 resigned including the secretary and treasure these were to be effective at the end of the meeting. During the meeting which got very heated a vote was taken to close the club and distribute the money the same as before between the 2 charities. All voted for this except 3 members.
Bank froze funds because of dipute with other 2 committee members who have since appionted a new secretary and treasure and have decided to split money as they see fit. As at the end of the meeting the club was disbanded. there for they cannot precide over a club that no longer excists. Am I right what do you suggest, Regards Linda
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Brisbane-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
We have sent e mail saying members need 2 weeks notification, we have to get together to pick suitable venue and mediator,

You are absolutely correct. Both parties need to agree on the mediator, and at least two weeks notice needs to be given in addition to holding it at a venue both parties are agreeable to. These two members cannot dictate the terms of a mediation.

Should you have any other questions, please let me know.

If you're satisfied with the results of your question, then I'll ask you to please provide positive feedback so that I will get credit for the time spent on your question. Your question can continue even after you leave positive feedback, so if you have any follow up questions please don't be afraid to ask.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I correct when I say that even though members resignd on the night of the meeting on 4/5. in the resignations it was stated the resignations would take effect and the close of the meeting when the club had been disolved all members including them must be invited to the meeting. Also the books should be arkived as the club no longer exsists They should not be given to the two members dictating to everyone. They can no longer run the club under the same name, a new club must have a different name. ?
Am I correct when I say that even though members resigned on the night of the meeting on 4/5. in the resignations it was stated the resignations would take effect and the close of the meeting when the club had been dissolved

Yes, that is correct. And the club records should be archived if the club has dissolved. As for these two members (former members if the club has been dissolved), they can start their own new club if they want.

Experience: I did my law degree at the University of Queensland