Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
Experience:  I did my law degree at the University of Queensland

Smart MeterAs per a resent phone conversation with Powercor

Smart Meter

As per a resent phone conversation with Powercor Australia I have expressed my interest in not having a Smart Meter installed on my premises, South Geelong Victoria. As acknowledge by the Powercor operator the current installed device is fully operational and therefore does not need replacement.

As this change only benefits the vendor but has little positive impact for the end-user and according to information gathered online negative feedback on billing, overcharges, dis-functional devices including diverse impacts on personal health conditions.

My question, are their any legal opportunities to defer, delay or cancel the installation of such devices such as Smart Meter, and what are the legal steps I can follow if any to avoid further unauthorised access and/or prevent large corporate government organisation to enter my property through 3rd party business installing devices which have not been granted for installation by the property owner.

Kind regards
Manfred XXXXXXXXX
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Brisbane-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

The only thing you can do is build a secure box around your current meter to prevent them from replacing your current meter with a smart meter. It is lawful to do this, however, the expense would have to be borne by yourself and the meter must still be readable. Therefore the box will need a transparent plastic or glass front to allow this.

Should you have any other questions, please let me know.

If you're satisfied with the results of your question, then I'll ask you to please provide positive feedback so that I will get credit for the time spent on your question. Your question can continue even after you leave positive feedback, so if you have any follow up questions please don't be afraid to ask.
Experience: I did my law degree at the University of Queensland
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In case I lock the meter box, are their any consequences I may, will or can face such as late installation fees, disconnection of electricity, power companies refuse to deliver electricity into the property due to the old meter, increased or penelised electricity bills, or any other legal disadvantage caused by Powercor and/or other legal entities. Are their any legal ramifications.

Thank you
No, there would be no legal consequences to doing this.