Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

Hi there, My local Council conducted an inspection of my property

Customer Question

Hi there, My local Council conducted an inspection of my property whilst I was overseas and my daughter allowed them access. It was apool safety inspection apparently. I had one randomly about 6 to 7 years ago and all complied. the same as it did when my Husband and I built our home in 1990 and moved in the same year.
Apart from me having a new gate and which I agree needed self closing mechanism, they are also asking me to make changes to an area called the Cabana which has a 8 man spa, sauna, bathroom and kitchenette in it. Until last year when my Son and his girlfriend decided to move outside to have their own privacy, which we made a removable platform which covers the spa. It has always been used as a Cabana which is stated on our original house plans. My Son is 26 and his Girlfriend is 27 . we have no young children in the home at all we are all over the age of 26 years old.
I am not wanting to make all of these unnecessary changes as my Son and Girlfriend will not be there for ever nor will that area be a self contained area for ever it will be revert back eventually.The door from the garage into the Cabana has a self closing mechanism.
I bought up three young Children in my home as it is.I am really frustrated at the lack of commonsense these people consistently show, they say I have lost my rights of appeal as it is over 30 days. I was waiting for an answer and found out two days ago. Do I hav ethe right to refuse them entry? Even police need a warrant to come into oyour home. I do not agree with this decision and want to contest this.
I would really appreciate you being able to guide me in the right directly with much thanks and gratitude
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Brisbane-Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Which council is it? Did they ever give you anything in writing?

If so, can you please scan and attach it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alex,

Sorry I have been off line for a while. The Council is Knox City Council in Melbourne Victoria.

The covering letter you see included in these documents is the original which I opened on returning from overseas during the week of February 10th 2013.

There was another letter after this date when the council Inspector came when I was overseas,which all of the other documents were attached to. I cannot seem to find it sorry. I also requested an extension of time for as follow up extension initially because I had been overseas and was finding it difficult to get some one to help with the gate closing mechanism and the pailings on the fence to make it child proof. As for some of the other items including the lattice. When another inspector came out said he didn't even know why the first inspector mentioned that as he couldn't see an issue.My doors leading out to the pool area have always been the same double doors where internally in one there is lock going up pinto the cavity on top of the door and at ground level. i cannot even open it without a screw driver . They now want something screwed under the lock to prevent it being opened at all. all doors have a key lock as well at waist height. This is all the original fixtures and fittings. My windows also have fly wire screens which have two black loops inside that need to be pulled in tightly to get them over a small drawing pin type of set up. A child can not open this they want this changed also.

I am really looking forward to getting your advice Alex as I am totally frustrated.

many thanks and a very Happy Easter to you and your family. :-)

Alex it doesn't appear to have the capabilities for me to attache multi pages? Can you please guide me here, with thanks.

The best way is to scan and email it. Please email it to:

[email protected]

And ask them to forward it to Alex in the Australia law group. This can take up to 24 hours. And happy Easter to you as well.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alex,

I hope that my email finds you very well. It has been quite some time now since I scanned and emailed those documents to you [email protected]

Do you have any answers for me at this stage please?

I look forward to hearing back from you with thanks

Warmest Regards

Carrol :-)

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Wendy,

I am afraid that since this had taken so long to get areply Council came back again. I have just noticed this week though that the payment has been taken from my credit card, which I am not happy about as I had no results given. Can you please arrange a refund as soon as possible please. Many thanks Carrol :-)