Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

My son, is nearly 11 and over the last 10 years has had contact

My son, is nearly 11 and over the last 10 years has had contact and a relationship with his father, on a casual basis. There have been issues with different parenting values, including allowing him to play M rated video games, eating junk food etc. I have repeatedly over the years asked the father to limit these m rated games and movies and encourage healthier lifestyle and eating and also asked him to support my son in our chosen education of a steiner school. The impact is on my son and his transition into life at school making it difficult. Payments have been always lower than CSA recommends and inconsistent, this is not my main concern, but feel I have been very fair. Contact is minimal,no phone calls and visits once every school term between 3-10 days depending. The latest visit in October was worrying, after I had asked from the previous visit, once again to stop allowing so many negative aspects around my son. The fathers attitude is that he can do whatever he likes when he has my son and it is non of my business. On my sons last visit in October when I rang to say hello, and he was alone in the house playing xbox. The father was at work and he told me a neighbour was looking after my son. I phoned the neighbour, who knew nothing of it and was away from her home. Initially my son also lied to me, not wanting his Dad to get into trouble. It turns out that my son had had two days alone whilst the father was working. I understand that parenting has its differences, but I am concerned with the wellbeing and care of my son and I just want to know whether I have any rights legally requiring better duty of care. I also want to support my sons relationship with his father in a positive way, but feel that enough is enough and need to know where I stand. I appreciate any advice you may be able to offer. many thanks.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Wendy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Wendy, I'm happy to wait.

Regards

Emma

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello

Are there orders in place? If not, then stop allowing contact till he lifts his game.

Contact needs to be in the best interests of the child. Eating junk food, playing age inappropriate games and having contact with the father is not in the best interests of the child.

Your concerns are warranted. The child needs to be cared for. The best interests of the child is stated in the family law act, the second paragraph I typed above is a concern in accordance with the law.

Please accept

Daniel, Solicitor
Experience: Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court