RJBLAW
RJBLAW, Lawyer
Experience:  almost 25 years' experience in the law
65847483

Married in Fiji need divorce in Aust

I was married in Fiji. I'm Australian born and live in Australia. How can I get a divorce? I do not currently have a marriage certificate.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  RJBLAW replied 5 years ago.

RJBLAW : Hi, are you able to obtain a duplicate original marriage certificate from Fiji? You will need this else the court won't accept your papers
Customer:

I believe so at either The Fiji High Commission in Canberra or the Consulate General (Sydney). My ex has a copy of the certificate which I handed over in the first of 3 previous divorce applications.

RJBLAW :

WHat were the 3 previous applications you refer to?

Customer:

I have completed 3 previous applications but for various reasons my ex has advised they have failed. So I have now just completed a 4th on my own, served her with the papers and I had applied for a certificate. That was sent back stating I have to get that from Fiji. So now I don't know if my marriage was a legal one however if so how do I get divorced.

RJBLAW :

WHat papers have you received from the court, if any?

Customer:

Non at this stage I have not sent in the sole application as I needed the certificate

RJBLAW :

OK, yes this is essential. HAve you considered engaging an international agent to get your certificate for you?

RJBLAW :

The marriage certif is essential, as you know. Have you considered engaging an international agent to get it for you in fiji?

Customer:

No. Once I realised the certificate had to come from Fiji. I considered that maybe where the divorce has to handled also. So I wanted to clarrify with you if I can apply to the Qld gov as I have already to get divorced. Given that I was married in Fiji?

Customer:

The Fiji High Commission Australian web site states the following in relation to getting the certificate;

Customer:

Certificate requests are sent to Fiji on a weekly basis for normal processing by the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages. Processing time is a minimum of six weeks. Processing may take longer in cases where the application forms are incomplete, incorrect information is provided by the applicants, there is a delay in the registration of the marriage and postal service delays.

RJBLAW :

You can apply in Aust for your divorce if you are a citizen or permanent resident. International Detection Services can help you if there are problems in getting the certif. I hope this is helpful, would you please click accept now.

Customer:

Okay thank you