Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

could i take up residence on crown land and become a squat

could i take up residence on crown land and become a squatter?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 3 years ago.
Good Evening,

You can do that bur being crown land you can never claim it as your own under adverse possession as it is crown land.

The Government can have the police remove you once they discover you are there.

But you can try and set up residence.

I hope this is of assistance and if so please click on the accept button.
Leon, Solicitor
Experience: BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Leon

Thank you for getting back to me.
I understand that back in the 18th century one could pay a fee to the crown and become a legit squatter, this is no longer case or every one would still be doing it, i would assume!
I would like to go muster some wild cattle in the North of WA, crown land is our best bet for big numbers. Just not sure of the legality of it! it would be nice if there was an old by law still in place that would allow enough time for a cattle muster to take place and be legit.
Or is this type of question out of you jurisdiction?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I would like to know if there is a way to become a legitimate squatter if only for a short pace of time?
Expert:  Leon replied 3 years ago.
Good Afternoon,

This is not the case as I understand it.

For the activity you wish to do the WA government may be prepared to allow you and grant you a long term lease.

There are long term leases that do exist but you are not a squatter as the government has an agreement with you to undertake the activity.

A Squatter is in possession of land illegally and usually without the knowledge of the owner.

Leon, Solicitor