Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)

Am I responsible for my deceased Husbands credit card debit

Am I responsible for my deceased Husband's credit card debit? I am the sole beneficary
of his will. The house was in both our names, and I was the other director of our Company.
His only asset was a wine collection, which I am currently having auctioned in order to pay the outstanding credit cards, however I am anticipating that there will be a considerable shortfall. I have asked several people involved in finance and no one seems to know, however one bank person said that I was not responsible as I was not a card
holder. Thank you for reading this.

Kind regards, XXXXX
Good Evening,

No you are not personally responsible but your husbands estate is liable to pay all his debts first.

So if he had money when he passed away then the debts must be paid first.

If the house is owned jointly it passes to you automatically

You need to calculate the value of the estate first. Once you have that then you can advise the creditors what is there and if you cannot pay them all in full talk to them about accepting a reduced amount.

You should not pay anyone until you have the value of the estate and the estate is liquidated.

I hope this is of assistance and if so please click on the accept button.