How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44151
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you place a lien on something

This answer was rated:

How do you place a lien on something?
Good Afternoon,

You cannot place a lien on something. a lien is a legal right to retain another parties property because they failed to pay for example.

It is created under an agreement of some sort.

Here is more information.

If you do not have some court judgement or a charge over the boat you cannot do anything as it is not in your possession.

You will need to sue and get judgement and then seek that the sheriff give you some money under the court order.

I hope this is of assistance and if so please click on the accept button.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

We do have possession on the boat as it is on a mooring that I own, for which the defendant is paying a monthly fee to use. This is were the debit is being amounted.

The sherif has placed a note on the boat but the vessel is still in our possession.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There was no answer supplied to this part of the question.
Good Afternoon,

Well it is your mooring and you have possession.

you can refuse to allow them access but if the sheriff has orders to sell it you cannot stop them. You should speak to the sheriff and ask what they intend to do and then you can ascertain if you can keep possession and exercise a lien over it based on the money you are owed.

I hope this is of assistance and if so please click on the accept button.
Leon and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you