Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
Experience:  I did my law degree at the University of Queensland
17651911

how many years will a drink driving conviction stay on

Customer Question

how many years will a drink driving conviction stay on record and affect a new charge
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Brisbane-Lawyer replied 6 years ago.
It will stay on your record permanently, however, after 5 years if you do not have any further brushes with the law in that time, then the conviction becomes spent under the Crimes Act - meaning you are taken not to have committed the offence and therefore you will not have to declare that conviction.

If my answer has been helpful or informative, please press the Accept button. I am also able to answer further questions after accepting.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if i had a drink driving conviction of 0.1, 11 years ago, and just got caught driving with a reading of 0.07
will the previous one still count
Yes, unfortunately.

New offences which result in a conviction renew previous spent convictions.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me if I were to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. As such, if my answer has been helpful or informative to you, even if it wasn't necessarily what you wanted to hear, please hit the Accept button.