Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
Experience:  I did my law degree at the University of Queensland
17651911

I work but am under a centrelink investigation for being in

I work but am under a centrelink investigation for being in what they refer to as a de-facto relationship from 1996 to 1999. This was not one we only shared a house together what can I do to prove this?

Thanks worried
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Brisbane-Lawyer replied 7 years ago.
Quote:
what can I do to prove this?

You and this person can each swear statutory declarations that you were not living in a relationship at the time, but rather were house mates. You can also attach your rental receipts to help show this (hopefully you still have them).

Then send these stat decs to the Centrelink investigation people.

That is the most you can do, and you need to be aware that if Centrelink doesn't believe you (and I am assuming you are being truthful in saying that you weren't in a relationship at the time), if Centrelink doesn't buy that they will refer the matter to the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions who will then charge you.

At that stage you would have to defend the charges. Stat decs from both yourself and this partner of yours, with the rental records attached, may diminish the likelihood of that outcome from eventuating - but you need to be mindful that it could still be referred to the CDPP.

You should see a lawyer ASAP to draft those stat decs for you if you want to take that path.

If my answer has been helpful or beneficial to you, please hit the Accept button.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Would also Statutory Declartions from friends and family around twenty that would say we were ot a couple plus we were both seeing other people in sexual relationships also help? Yes I am being truthful we have no past rent receits but the lease was in 2 names. Centrelink accepted this at the time. The reason they are now investigating is I have lodged back tax and we ended up as a couple in 2008. A long way from 1999 but things change peoples relationships can change. The years of 1996 to 1999 I was not in a good condition due to the death of my son so most of it was a blur anyway.
[QUOTE]Would also Statutory Declartions from friends and family around twenty that would say we were not a couple plus we were both seeing other people in sexual relationships also help?[/QUOTE]
Yes, that would also assist if you can get friends willing to say that.

But once again, if Centrelink don't believe you they will refer the matter to the CDPP and you will need to defend against the charges they bring against you.