Maurice, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer (Juris Doctor, MBA IntBus) with 25 years Australian Business Experience at Your Service

Does an employer have the right to take a fingerprint to be

Does an employer have the right to take a fingerprint to be taken without consent
I am not involved in any type of secure environment this is simply to clock on & off
all my work as a driver is paiod according to my work sheet & log book
I spend no time in the office other than using the lunch room
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Maurice replied 7 years ago.

The employer has no right to take your fingerprint without your consent and you can refuse to do so.

The threats of not paying wages is illegal and should be reported to the Work Place Ombudsman (

If there is any threat or anyone is dismissed for not providing a fingerprint this will give rise to an unfair dismissal claim, which Linfox as a group is big enough to understand they don't want to embroiled in these matters.

I suggest you approach the employer and just ask where at law they have established this right and you will obey the law.

I trust this information is of assistance and that you will kindly accept my answer as I wish you the best in this matter