Lillian DuRen
Lillian DuRen, Lawyer
Experience:  B.Ec., M.I.R., LLB

Would like to know the laws governing the naming of an illegitimate

Would like to know the laws and proceedures governing the naming of an illegitimate child born in Queensland, Australia relevant to the current year. This is with regard to either using the fathers or mothers last name for the newborn child.

Is it legal to use the fathers last name and if so what proceedure is entailed in doing this?

Wish to print this information for future reference so would like the reply emailed to me.

Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Lillian DuRen replied 7 years ago.

There are no rules.

It is up to the parents of the child to decide what to name the child. If you want the child to have the father's surname, you can.

When the child is born the parents are required to register the birth with the Department of Justice & Attorney General. The form gives the Deparmtnet information such as date and place of birth, names of the child, child's parents, doctor or midwife who attended the birth.

The application forms can be obtained from hospitals, birthing centres, most magistrates courts offices and from the Brisbane registry of the Department

I hope this helps.