How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 43910
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I have a criminal record can I get into australia to live

Resolved Question:

If I have a criminal record can I get into australia to live and work?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 8 years ago.
It may cause you problems but you are best to disclose the convictions.
The initial one at the age of 16 is a long time ago and committed when you were a minor. I suggest before doing anything else you obtain a copy of your criminal record from the Police. This will give you a better indication of what is there. In some Jurisdictions matters committed when you are a juvenile to do not appear.
An accusation does not appear. If you were not charged and convicted it should not appear on your record. You have to be careful when answering the questions. If they ask about convictions then your answer is only about the one at 16 and the drink driving.
If you do not disclose what is on your record they will stop you from coming in because they will see you have lied on your application.
Here is the form that you sign to give them access to your record.
I hope this is of assistance and if so please click on the accept button.

Leon and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you