AUSSIE- Repair Tech.
AUSSIE- Repair Tech., Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Tech with 12 years experience in the Industry.
55003593

I have a whirlpool front load 6th sense Wfs1273bw which

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool front load 6th sense Wfs1273bw which won't go into fast spin. I replaced the brushes yesterday because I figured it was about time to and the old ones were still OK but it was good to do them anyway. Anyway the fast spin is still not working even when the drum is empty on spin only. The filter Is clean and drain hose between drum and pump is not obstructed. Any ideas?
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: It may have been happening for a while but I can't be sure. I should also mention that the belt is tracking centrally on the pulleys, and the machine is level. I watch it on spin and on slow speed it looks and performs fine, the new brushes make the motor seem to sound a bit different which I assume is just the brushes bedding in. Then it tries to go for high speed spin and starts ramping up then it is interrupted and drops back to low speed spin. When this interruption occurs the LEDs on the front panel all switch off momentarily before resuming for the slow spin.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I am an engineer and figured I would try diagnosing the issue first.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Experience tells me that there is probably a knowledge base where this fault is identifiable. :)
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Kelly replied 25 days ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 25 days ago.

If the control does not "see" that the tub is empty of water, it will not allow the motor to go into a high speed spin. Are you able to remove the top panel from the machine to access the pressure switch?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

Hello Kelly, I am ready to be helped please.

Expert:  Kelly replied 25 days ago.

The pressure switch is mounted at the top of the cabinet, just under the top panel. It will have a very small hose attached to it. If you remove that hose and blow through it (the hose), does air easily pass?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

I will have a go at that and let you know the result.

Expert:  Kelly replied 25 days ago.

Roger that, keep me posted!

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

I disconnected the pressure switch hose (half way down near the door latch) and blew air through it from my compressor. It sounded like a clear line. Hooked it back up and it still is not getting to full speed on spin. Same symptoms as before. I don't know if there is a vibration sensor but I watched it with lid off and it all seemed ok and then I even tried to steady the drum with my hands but it still tripped out.

Expert:  Kelly replied 25 days ago.

Was there a lot of movement in the tub?

Expert:  Kelly replied 25 days ago.

The control monitors the current draw of the motor to determine if the tub is majorly out of balance.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

No, it seemed very steady with the spring, mass, damping system. I did feel a discernible increase in torque as it tried ramping up but nothing beyond what you would reasonably expect.

Expert:  Kelly replied 25 days ago.

I would look at connection at the motor and the control. Remove them and reset back in place to alleviate any resistance issues. Any change?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

I'll try that and get back to you. Coffee first.

Expert:  Kelly replied 25 days ago.

Oh yes, I forgot you are Tuesday morning already, I am in the US, it is nearly dinner time here. :-)

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

I was in US a couple of weeks ago in Dallas Texas.

Expert:  Kelly replied 25 days ago.

South of me, I an in south central MT. It is starting to get cold here, expecting some snow later this week!

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

We still have some snow 150km south of me at the higher altitude. You got mountains there or is it flat? Love snow.

Expert:  Kelly replied 25 days ago.

Lots of mountains, the biggest and most beautiful (in my opinion) Rocky Mountains and the Absaroka Beartooth Mountains.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

I must get there on a road trip some day. I like the USA but prefer the country areas to big cities. I pulled the connector off the motor and it all looked OK so I put it back and did that three times and then checked all the connectors up by the control panel and they looked OK. I looked at the line filter (Ac in) and it was OK. I tried the spin and no change - same problem. Then I took the drive belt off to eliminate any vibration sensor if one is in circuit and even without the belt it would not get all the way to full speed spin and LEDs blinked as before. I am thinking what about the brushes but I know I angled them on the correct angle to suit the offset and the screws ensure correct alignment so maybe it is something else?

Expert:  Kelly replied 25 days ago.

I live in the biggest city in the state at about 100,000 people. Montana is full of small towns and lots of country!

It sounds like the control has issues. You have replaced the brushes and eliminated any connection problems. Is there a pattern to the flashing lights?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

100,000 is a nice sized small city, I live on 12 acres in the bush 25km from Canberra which has about 400,000 people. 150km North is Sydney with 4 million in a big sprawl. Plenty of nice countryside here. The flashing lights are probably not really flashing. The LEDs just seem to go out at the same time as the motor stops spooling up. It is momentary then they recover as does the motor but in slow spin mode. I have been into a previous front loader a Bendigo and it had an obvious and larger motor controller separate to the control panel but this one seems to have all the cabling coming out of a small control unit at the top. Would that be right that the motor controller, program selector and timer are in that one unit at the top? Is there a whirlpool knowledge base to tap into to see if there are issues with the controller? Could the motor be at fault?

Expert:  Kelly replied 25 days ago.

It is not likely to be an issue with the motor if the motor runs on slower speeds okay. Let me see what I can find on this model. It is not in the Whirlpool database but that is primarily US models. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 25 days ago.

Did you see any tech sheet on the interior of the cabinet at all?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

I found one somewhere on some site for a UK model which looked similar except the motor controller was down low. I gave not found anything specific to my model. I understand this may take you a while to research further I'll have another coffee. I got close to Montana in 97 on a road trip. Across from Portland to Couer Delane in Idaho then North to Canada. Nice.

Expert:  Kelly replied 25 days ago.

That is close! I have family in Portland, spent a few weeks in Seattle. Washington a year or so ago. I like that area.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

The drive along the south side of the Columbus river was spectacular. What a big River!

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

A lot of rain too. Green grass.

Expert:  Kelly replied 25 days ago.

The Columbia River is awesome! My brother spends a lot of time fishing there. He has caught some big fish and lots of pictures!

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

That's right Columbia, fishing on that would be so much fun. I may come over next year and do that. ☺️

Expert:  Kelly replied 25 days ago.

I am having trouble locating any service info on that machine. I am finding that the controller looks to be no longer available as well (see below). How old is that machine?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

It was manufactured in October 2008 in China.

Expert:  Kelly replied 25 days ago.

Ah, that is probably why I cannot find anything on it. I don't think that was made by Whirlpool, but branded with their name.

Expert:  Kelly replied 25 days ago.

Let me see what I can come up with. It may be tomorrow before I hear back.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

Yep ok. Understood. I am heading down to the coast later today and will be back on Thursday evening. Btw, the machine sure does look well made so Whirlpool have not sold out their brand for a rubbish outcome - it looks really good to me and sounds great when it us running. The control panel is made by Inverses by the way. It has a number on it if that might help? The Web site that directed me to you said it was directing me to an Australian expert, I wonder if this is an Australian specific machine and so maybe an expert located in Australia may have encountered this machine or gave access to an Australian knowledge base? Or are you able to tap into that too? I think you know what I mean about particular models having well known unique problems and solutions? 😆

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

Hey Kelly, I'm thinking that if it isn't the motor then maybe the problem is the controller failing on overload on the DC supply to the motor. Maybe it has capacitors which are cooked - I can get a replacement one on eBay.

Expert:  Kelly replied 24 days ago.

I will see if there is a servicer local to you that may have input.