AUSSIE- Repair Tech.
AUSSIE- Repair Tech., Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Tech with 12 years experience in the Industry.
55003593

We have a problem with our Hitachi Split type Air condition

Customer Question

Hello. We have a problem with our Hitachi Split type Air condition indoor/outdoor Unit Model RAS-50YA3. This is not a brand new unit. We have, for the first time attempted to use the cooling. Unfortunately the function selector button was not switching out of Heating mode when pressed. We attempted all sorts of things including cleaning the very dirty filters. We resorted to pressing the reset button. We are now stuck on reset mode and can't get it further. The printed manual doesn't not give any information about resetting. Are you able to give us directions? Thank you Melissa
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Phil replied 5 months ago.

Hello Melissa, these things are very complex electronically, well beyond what most home owners can even hope to address themselves.... so far however it sounds like the control module has failed.

Unfortunately Hitachi has gotten out of that business several years ago so even getting parts can be a problem.

Let me know if you would like me to help you locate a well rated service outfit for you, if so, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest town or city and I will see what I can do.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. No problem. I am sure I can find a local installer. Thank you.
Expert:  Phil replied 5 months ago.

You are welcome, however you should know that the installers are most generally not remotely up to diagnosing the very complex electronics issues... and that that at least regarding the split system type you have parts can be very difficult. Ask those you contact if they have experience and capability in *repairing the Hitachi split systems. Then brace yourself for a repair bill that can very often exceed the cost of replacing the system unless you vet the outfit carefully.

You are welcome to stay in touch if you wish.