Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

A microwave problem model NNSF550W bought in May 2011 from

Customer Question

Hi a microwave problem model NNSF550W bought in May 2011 from Good Guys, Tweed Heads, - looking at the manual now. Showing H98 in display window.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: A Panasonic model no NN-SF550W. bought May 2011
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Consulted the manual. Reset by turning it off then on at the wall. It will not heat water.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: How long do these machines remain functional? Thanks
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

So this issue is a very bad error code to get for this Panasonic microwaves I'm afraid. H98 can be caused from several things, but it all means the same thing–the magnetron is not drawing the amount of power needed. You could have a faulty magnetron itself, a faulty inverter board, or one of your door switches can just not be activating correctly. You can’t test the magnetron or the inverter board, so the best thing to do is check the door switches. Unplug the unit and remove all the screws around the outer shell of the microwave and the outer shell of the microwave will pull straight back, up, and off. This will give you access to the door switches through the left of the control panel opening. There should be 3 switches which you can remove and make sure they don’t look burnt. Push on the little actuator buttons and see if the switches still click. If so then reinstall the switches and shut the door to make sure the door is activating all the switches when the door shuts. If so, then it’s time to guess which part you want to replace–either the magnetron or the inverter board. The manufacturer will tell you to replace the inverter board first, but it’s really a toss up. Both parts cost about $100-150 so it's normally not worth repairing if the door switches all check good.

For reference, this issue happened to me on a 5 month old microwave from Panasonic and it was the inverter board. It was under warranty for a year but the service center wasn't close enough to make it worth fixing because the microwave was only $110 and the inverter was $150 so I wasn't going to fix it myself either. I just had to buy a new microwave

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?