Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

I have a Westinghouse LD505e dryer slowly but surely it had

Customer Question

I have a Westinghouse LD505e dryer slowly but surely it had failed to dry some clothes. Tonight It will not dry a pair of undies. The air extruded seems just a tiny bit warm. The dryer went through it cycle and turned off when it thought it had finished. But the undies still wet. The front filter was clean.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It is about 8 yrs old.
Previously some clothes would be dry whilst others would be damp.
The drum spins fine and it easy to turn by hand.
It is wall hung with at least 75mm behind it.
I don't mind fixing things. I always like to be the proverbial mister fix it.
I have tools to disassemble it.
I have volt meter.Thanks in anticipation
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 10 days ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Either the exhaust is blocked causing the issue or the heater could have a burned out element. I would first check the airflow at the outside hood to see if it is good and strong. If it is then you will need to take the unit apart and get to the heater and check both elements for continuity. The vent is the more likely issue though.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me! are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
In my initial question I noted the air coming out the vent was just slightly warm if at all. The stream was strong though.
Curious the Dryer finished it cycle with just the underwear in the drum. Yet they where still wet. This is a Sensor model. So what was it sensing?I will get someone to help lift the unit off the wall. And test the heater elements as you suggested. It may be day or 2 before I able to do this due to work commitments. I will get to you.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 9 days ago.

Ok sounds good, the sensor bars detect moisture but you have to have enough clothes in the unit or it will cycle out too quick.