Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.

My Bosch fridge freezer is 3.5 years old and has stopped

Customer Question

My Bosch fridge freezer is 3.5 years old and has stopped making ice although water gets into the ice compartment. The top shelf where I keep bread is soft and I can't keep ice cream frozen. Recently on returning from a weeks holiday I opened the fridge side and thought there was a strange chemical like smell although it was cleaned and all perishable items removed prior to the holiday. What could be wrong Bosch is so reliable normally I have had oven, cook top in my previous house and now have Smeg and would prefer my bosch any day also preferred my Bosh dishwasher.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Bosch is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It was purchased in October/November 2012 and left at the shop until December when we moved into our new place it is KAN58a70AU
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No idea what is required
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Kelly replied 16 days ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 16 days ago.

I believe the refrigeration system has a leak and the refrigerant has leaked out. The oil that is in the sealed system is probably what you are smelling. This type of repair will require specialized tools and training and is not something you will be able to complete on your own. You will need to have it professionally repaired and it will not be an inexpensive repair. It requires several hours time and lots of equipment to pack in and out.