Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert

Westinghouse Frost Free Model RJ280M Not dropping the fridge

Customer Question

Westinghouse Frost Free Model RJ280M Not dropping the fridge temp below 6c (Freezer Compartment at about -15c ! I gather there is a fan that circulates the cool air? should one be able to detect it running when the door is open? (fridge belongs to a neighbour of mine so I said I'd look things up online for her?)
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: She's had it happening for some time and did call in someone to fit a new door seal (fridge is about 13 years old?) Noticed the drinks weren't as cold as they should be! I heard about it yeasterday and placed a Thermometer inside to check it out over night
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible I will
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not able to go beyond electrical work (as in accessing the refrigerant)
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 27 days ago.

hello, yes there is a fan in the freezer ,yes you should hear it when the freezer door is open circulates 80 % of the air in the freezer and blows 20% into the fridge section , the freezer is where the cold air is generated ,that fan supplies air flow to both sections ...i would suspect the freezer fan as the issue ,if the freezer temps are not bad ..refrigerant will be fine if freezer getting cold

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Many thanks. Will get on it when the owner is home later :-)
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 26 days ago.

ok , good luck

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Your automated system doesn't seem to comprehend that I have responded to you Randy? And that You have acknowledged it! Just for info. The Freezer is working fine and just needed the thermostat turning down a bit. The problem is in the Fridge Unit where the thermostat controlled vent was not opening correctly! Have tried just making certain that there is no blockage to that small flap but it might need the actual thermostat taking out and cleaned/lubricated or replaced if necessary. Just a Pity that Westinghouse' support is so woefully bad these days and one cannot get any info from them in Australia for this model.