AUSSIE- Repair Tech.
AUSSIE- Repair Tech., Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Tech with 12 years experience in the Industry.
55003593

LG Fridge freezer model # GMB208SS The unit turns off after

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: LG Fridge freezer model # GMB208SS The unit turns off after a week or so, apparently due to the de-icing system not working
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your LG is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Any resolutions to this, as the parts we apparently need to replace are about $750
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: purchased it mid 2011 - Model # GM-B208SS No I have a mate whom is an eletrician. though it may not be his thing. So just wanted advice
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No that's the only problem with it. It's working at the moment, but could stop again at any time
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Hello, lets go slowly on this, $750 is about 4 times as much money in parts than virtually all repairs require... get me a list of the parts and prices, not part numbers, but description... such as defrost heater, compressor or control module. and tell me who quoted you those prices.

Electricians are not at all trained in refrigerator repair... that will be the next issue we investigate.