Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

Sure. I have a SImpson 455 Scirocco dryer and I am trying to

Customer Question

Sure. I have a SImpson 455 Scirocco dryer and I am trying to replace the tumbler belt. The belt goes around the drum, pulley and motor but has too much slack unless a twist is put in the belt. I do not know how to get the twist in? There is a spring on the motor which is attached to the cabinet but I can not see a way to use this to tension up the belt.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Today
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No ... a manual would help but I have not been able to find one online. This is the last hurdle in getting the dryer back up and running.
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be the one who will assist you today. Is this what you are trying to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6wQlLSe_jA

If not please let me know and I will continue to look for you. Please do not rate negatively. If you do find this information helpful please rate with 5 stars at the top.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have seen this video. It is great for doing the belt on the back of the dryer and I have replaced this belt before.
My question is about the belt inside the dryer which encircles the drum. It runs off a spool off the motor and over a pulley. The belt itself however is much larger than needed to fit it back on, there are presumably twists that go in the belt. I can not see how to do this. There are no springs that I can see that can be used to tension the belt.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

Ok give me just one moment while I look that up for you.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=SImpson+455+Scirocco+dryer+belt+inside+dryer&view=detail&mid=431C52EA66F21D485EE3431C52EA66F21D485EE3&FORM=VIRE

I know this is not your unit at all but is this what you are trying to do? Just so I have a better idea?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this is the correct style of video. It shows how to assemble the drum belt on a Frigidaire Dryer which is just fine but the Simpson 455 uses the drum as a counter weight and needs another technique. The video shows the right specific step but on my dryer I can not simply run the belt over a pulley as otherwise there is too much slack. There also is no spring mechanism for tightening up the slack after the drum belt is in place.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

Place the dryer face down placing a support between the top of the door and the control panel so the door nor the panel supports the weight of the drier.
Remove the back panel and place to the side, careful not to stress any of the wiring or connections, leave the drum in position check it correctly located BEFORE fitting the new belt. Fit the new belt around the drum, (micro groves face the drum smooth side out)using masking tape or sim tape the the belt to the drum in a few locations in the position it will normally run (these are temporary) leaving the spare in a loop near to the motor & jockey pulleys. Hold the jockey pulleys apart with a chock ie. a piece of wood or plastic pipe etc that can be removed easily. hold the loop of belt in one hand and feed it on to the motor pulley while holding it in position release the temporary chock from the jockey pulleys these will hold the belt in position, remove the masking tape. CHECK THE WIRING AND CONNECTIONS ARE CLEAR OF THE FRAME ESPECIALLY THE ELEMENT CONNECTIONS AND ALL EARTHS ARE SECURE. Refit the back cover,

I hope this is what you are looking for if not please do not rate negatively I can opt out and open this up to other experts.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Your description rings true and is correct other than there being jockey pulleys. I have only one jockey pulley. No chocks possible.
I had not noticed the micro grooves on the belt. That was a useful add so thanks.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome. If you found this information helpful all I ask is you rate with 5 stars at the top so I am credited for my time. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry but knowing about micro grooves still does not get the belt fitted. As I said, I have only one pulley ... there is no way to chock the pulleys apart and no way still to fit the belt. I am not there yet.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

Ok one more moment let me check something for you.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

After installing the belt around the drum, drive pulley and tension wheel, I align the front end of the drum with the front of the cabinet and install the tension spring. Then I hand wind the motor shaft to settle things in place also make sure you have the belt around the drum aligned (in the same plane) as closely as you can with the drive pulley and tensioning wheel. I think this is partially achieved by placing the belt as close to that position as possible before lining up the front end of the drum with the cabinet opening, and then turning the drum from the front (through the open door) very slowly clockwise (the direction of its normal rotation) to give the belt "time" to align itself fully with the smaller pulleys.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

Here is a little more information if it helps

There is a switch at the bottom of the dryer. It has a groove for the spring to fit around. Then the spring goes through the metal tag with the holes in the pulley. The pulleys 2 prongs then fits into the slot near the motor. The belt goes through the pulley and around the motor wheel. When fitting the drum, tape the belt at three points on the drum with the machine door facing down making installation easier.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Good question. I have read about taping the belt to keep it in place. My issue is with the spring. There is only one spring affixed to the motor which keeps it in place. If I take the spring off the motor, that still does not create any slack or help with tension for fitting the belt. What you describe is sensible, but it does not fit with the inside of my machine.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

I am sadly unsure of what the problem could be then. Other than maybe a spring or something is missing. I certainly gave it my best shot though. Would you like me to opt out and see if anyone else has any ideas on this matter?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think this one is a bit difficult. I saw someone else on the web having similar trouble explaining the same problem and they never got a clear answer either. If someone else knows, that would be great. Thanks for giving it a shot.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

I just have one last question before I leave you is there a possibility it is missing a spring? I am not sure if you took the original one off if you noticed if there was one of two springs.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Good question. No I did not see another spring. I never actually removed the one spring that is there until I was at a loss for something to do to make this work. I could not find another spring or tension pulleys which seem to be common on other models of dryers. This dryer is unusual as you have to come through the back and all the way to the front to replace the heat element and thermostats. I did that and it looks good. Now I am just trying to make my way back out and put it together to test and see if it will work. ... a normal small job that somehow got bigger ...
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

It certainly sounds to me like its missing a spring because from my understanding there should be one at the top and one at the bottom. So I am definitely at a loss since that is not what you are seeing unfortunately I really wanted to be the one to help you figure this out. I will open this up. Have a good night.