Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

Westinghouse PXP688S*021 oven, used yetserday for a short

Customer Question

Westinghouse PXP688S*021 oven, used yetserday for a short period at 250 deg, item cooked fin. Further used at much (circa 160 deg) lower temp, however, did not heat - able to touch the inside with bare hands, thermostat light works as does fan - considering replacing heating element, however, unsure if this will resolve issue and suggestions of further test to id fault
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: westinghouse PXP688S*02 approx 7 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes, I am an electrical engineer, but not whitegoods....
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Fan operates when thermo control is turned, but no heat.. Have been suspicious that temperature has not been correct for a while
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 month ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

See if the broil element works when you set it to broil, if it does then either the bake element is defective or the relay on the board that control the bake element is bad. Now if it will not broil either you likely have a high limit thermostat out on the unit. There is a safety thermostat mounted to the back of the cavity that you should check. You would need to pull the oven out to get to that and remove the back panel. Check that for continuity and if it is bad change it out that will cut power to both the bake and broil element. Lastly check the power to the unit if neither work as well if you have a power leg out meaning 1/2 power the controls will come on but it will not bake or broil.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me! are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The broil element (grill) is a separate compartment and controlled by a separate controller - there is only one heating element in the main oven