George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  Senior Service & Technical Manager at Allsorts Recycling & Appliance Repairs

Hoover 550ma washing machine motor cuts in and out on spin

Customer Question

Hoover 550ma washing machine motor cuts in and out on spin and want get upto speed. Pump seems OK so it's not water in the bowl
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: Machine has been in storage and just did it first time since. Severity is basically no spin cycle, ie drum starts spinning but only gets say 20% of speed and motor cuts in and out so you need to turn it off?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, I'm an electrician by trade
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Don't think so, I thought it might be something to do with the out of balance sensor but have run machine with nothing in it and have made sure the drum isn't touching the sensor etc
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 month ago.

During this 20% speed rotation... is it that the drum is tumbling, or is it spinning? (is it changing direction during the pause in this rotation)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The drum is spinning as you would expect, it just doesn't get up to speed as the motor cuts in and out. Obviously something is interrupting the power to the motor. The motor works ok on wash.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just tried it again and the drum spins in a clockwise direction from the top but it also seems reluctant to start spinning, ie you set it on a spin position and start it and the pump starts but it might be 20 secs before the drum starts spinning, it spins for about 5 secs and probably gets up to a bit more than 20% speed maybe 40% but then the cuts out, starts again for 5 secs and then stops, it will then probably start doing this again in 30 secs? I'm thinking it's the controller / timer unit?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've got to go and feed horses etc, can you send me an email with your thoughts pls?

Can you tell me the product code from the rating plate on the rear of the appliance please... That is the 8 digit code starting with '31'

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
George There isn’t a product code on the label? The only number with 31 in it is the serial number which is 031 10524. There’s a bar code which is (01) 093 15540 29873 4 (21) 031 10524 (04) 01 and also F/C #01. The only other info is voltage, etc.

I would say that you have a problem with the tacho on the motor, or an 'out of balance' issue with the PCB