Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.

Error code e40 displays when I use the machine first thing

Customer Question

good morning
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: error code e40 displays when I use the machine first thing in the morning only ?
JA: Have you checked for the code in the manual?
Customer: i cannot locate the manual : (
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: i would also like to know how i am to clean the drain plug ?? 7kg front loader
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: inverter EWF14742 is the numbers on the front
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 month ago.

E40 is a door locking fault. For this its either the door lock, wiring or the control board.

Now most of the time its the door lock itself thats the fault on this. To access the door lock you need to first make sure its unplugged.

Then open the door and remove the plastic clamp from around the door seal and unlip it.

Then remove the 2 screws holding the lock on and pull ht through the porthole.

Check the wiring block going to the door lock and see if theres signs of burning.

If its looks fine then you need a multi meter to test the lock. You will see 3 tags there on the lock. Test between all 3 tags and you should get a reading between 2 of them. If you dont then the lock is faulty and needs to be replaced.

But if the lock and wiring are fine then its going to be the main control board im afarid. But to be honest 7 times out of 10 its the door lock that causes this fault you have here.

As to the drain plug i assume you mean the filter. If so then usually its just a case of unscrewing the filter and pulling it out to give it a clean.