Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.

Our Miele 8423C dryer is only running for a couple of

Customer Question

Our Miele 8423C dryer is only running for a couple of minutes before the buzzer sounds and it stops. It also doesn't produce any heat during the time it is operating. Any suggestions. Could this be a thermal relay? If so where would I find the relay?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Inside the dryer are two metal strips that sense the moisture in the clothes. The clothing passes over the strips and create an electrical path with the moisture in them. The metal strips sense the resistance in that electrical path and send that resistance reading to the control. The control then reads the resistance reading, interprets the resistance and from that reading determines how long the dryer needs to run. The less moisture in the clothing, the higher the resistance. The problem is that over time, detergent and softener residue builds up on the metal sensor strips and creates an insulating barrier between the strips and the clothing. Since the strips cannot sense the moisture in the clothing because of this barrier, it sends a high resistance reading to the control. The control then interprets that to mean that the clothes are dry and shuts off prematurely. You will need to clean those strips with a Scotch Brite pad, steel wool, sand paper or other abrasive to remove that barrier. Does the behavior change?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was hoping to us the call me option but I am international. Can I still use this service?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

I am not available for international calls but will open your questions back up for others that may be.