Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

My 3 year old smeg sa987cx microwave trips my electrical

Customer Question

hi, my 3 year old smeg sa987cx microwave trips my electrical circuit every now and then.
Sometimes i can reset the circuit right after and sometimes I have to wait for some time.
There is only one other appliance on the circuit (bar fridge) which is running fine.
What can be the cause of this electrical problem with the microwave?
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Most likely to cause that issue is a short in the high voltage section. When it runs, do you ever see sparking form inside the unit near the top? Any discoloration or arc marks on the inside oven cavity?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have seen some sparking inside the unit at times. What would need to be replaced? I am trying to establish if I should get a technician to come and repair $100 callout + 80/half hour + parts or look at buying a new one.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

If it is sparking inside, replace the microwave. The antenna cavity is damaged and it cannot be repaired. Save the call out fee.

I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi, I saw it spark several months ago. It is not sparking now when I use it.
I just tried to get it to trip the the circuit and it tripped it on first trial after 3 minutes. I retried twice and it did not trip the circuit the second nor 3rd time.It still works fine, but would like to know why it is tripping the circuit. Should I try any specific tests?
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Well, I suspect the issue is in the high voltage side of the components so you really can't test safely and because it is intermittent, reliably. If you wanted to try a part, I would replace the magnetron.