Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My Zanussi Condenser Dryer (Mod ZDC 47200W) stopped working

Customer Question

My Zanussi Condenser Dryer (Mod ZDC 47200W) stopped working suddenly. Seemed to be working fine one day, then not the next. I pulled the sides and top off and power is going through to the control board. Any ideas what need to be fixed? Is there a way to test if the control board has gone?
JA: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: sure.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: nope
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 10 months ago.

Hi

If power is going to the control board but nothing is comming on then its going to be the control board 100%. Ive replaced loads of them in the past for this fault.

As on the back of the board you will see the wires going to a switching unit attached to the board. This is a switching unit which causes this fault. Now its a sealed unit full of switches and springs so you cannot open it as it will all pop out.

So when this fault happens all you can do is replace the complete control board on this im afraid,

Sorry its not good news but if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Regards

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's a pretty expensive part to replace, and would be a waste if this is not the issue. Is there some way to be sure the control board is at fault? And if I replace it, will it just fail again immediately, i.e. any idea of the cause? The appliance is only a few years old - I would have expected it to last longer...
The only test you can do you've already done it as alI can do is just check for voltage going in.Other than that it's just a case of replacing the control board. But as I said this is a very common fault with these we replace loads of them in the past. As there isnt that much in a dryer. You have a heater, motor, thermostat and a control board so if there is nothing coming up on the display then it can only be the control board.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I read on the zanussi parts site that if the door switch is bust, that would prevent it from starting - but presumably then there would still be at least some lights/leds showing on the control board?Anyway, thanks, I'll order a new control board.
That's correct about the door switch as if that fails it only stops the dryer from starting. You will still get all the lights coming up if the lock failed. Also these locks never fail I cannot remember replacing one for a long time on these.You will find the control board will cure this. Just remember to give the full product number of the dryer when you order as there's quite a few different versions so the full product number will get you the correct board.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 9 months ago.

Hi

I see the question is still open, Is there anything else you need to know? If so then just get back to me.

If not then could you please remember to rate the answer and that will close the question.

Many thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi DanielThe part eventually arrived from the UK. I installed it last night, and was happy to see the lights displaying again! The bad news is that the dryer did not complete a cycle, and as I feared now my new control board seems to be in the same condition as the old one, i.e. not working.Any ideas what could be wrong?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 6 months ago.

Ok so when you fitted the new board and started a cycle how long did it run for before it went blank again?

When it did work did the drum turn and was there heat in there?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't know exactly how long it ran for before failing - the cloths inside were damp and warm but dryer than when put them in. I had the covers off this time, and when I started it I could see the drum turning, also I stuck around long enough so that I could feel the heat at the back of the dryer. I thought it was OK, so I left it to do its thing.

Ok i dont suppose you have a megger/insulation test meter to test the dryer do you?

If you do or can get one check the dryer and see if theres a short to earth in there. As if there is then that could possibley be taking the board out. But a bit strange as for this fault if its completey blank its usually just the board only rather then something taking it out.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have. Where or what points do you suggest I test to ground? Also, if the surface inside the dryer is slightly damaged would this cause the failure?

Test it from the plug top to earth. So clip one lead to the metal casing and then the other one to the live pin on the plug and then the neutral and see what reading you get.

If its shorting out to earth then you need to start disconnecting parts one at a time to see if it clears on the meter. Try the heater and motor first as they are the usuall culprits that can cause a shorting fault.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Followed the above test and no indication that there is a short to earth.

Ok if theres no short in there then its very strange as to why the board is blowing again.

As if theres nothing lighting up again then the new board has failed again so something must be taking it out. As theres no short in there then just check all the wiring incase theres a traped wire touching the casing.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah, I did all that to start, and couldn't see anything.

Ok if all thats fine and theres no short in there then i dont know why its gone off again. Its possible a faulty new board as usually when we see this fault and we replace the board we dont get anymore problems with it as it works fine from there.

So this could just be the board again at fault here.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't think I'll be able to convince the part reseller to issue me another replacement board. I would have to pay for a new one I would think. Any other recourse you suggest, perhaps direct with Zanussi?

You can try Zanussi direct. Not sure of the number in Australia but im sure you will be able to get it as its usually on the instruction manuals.

So if you can give them a bell and see what the say. Worth a phone call.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Zanussi is a brand that is not available in Oz. :(. We brought the dryer over with us when we emigrated. Looks like I'm going to have to scrap this machine.

The brand is Electrolux which they do have over there. There number is ***** 366 366 which i just got of there website. So the brands are different but its actually the same machines as the Electrolux machines they have over there.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you know what model number it would be?

I dont know the model but if you give them the product code (pnc) of your dryer they should be able to find it.