AUSSIE- Repair Tech.
AUSSIE- Repair Tech., Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Tech with 12 years experience in the Industry.
55003593

I have a Bosch dishwasher smu68m05au/51 and we are getting

Customer Question

Hi I have a Bosch dishwasher smu68m05au/51 and we are getting an E09 error which is apparently a heating/thermostat proble. I googled it and it said that the heater was easy to replace by the home handyman but we aren't sure what the part even looks like. I was looking for a repair manual to identify the part and where it is. We live out of town so a trip to an electrician is a pain and to get one out is very high cost
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?
Customer: It is a Bosch model number SMU68M05/51 and no we havent done a diagnostic test cycle. how do we do that?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes I have a husband who is a fitter and has worked with lots of appliances before
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Whitegoods Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

That error code of E09 means:

Heating circuit interrupted (resistance, supply wires, contacts of the safety relay on power module) .

So it could be the heating element itself has gone out, or the safety relay for the heater on the power module has failed and the power module needs to be replaced. To figure out which you will need to test the heating element for continuity and check the resistances, if it turns out to be good then the power module will need to be replaced.

I have the full service manual for that model if you need it and will offer it to you now, if you accept the offer I will give you the download link, thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No thanks, ***** ***** already got the service manual. We have the dishwasher partly disassembled but we can't get to the heater pump

If you have the service manual it shows how to remove the heater pump on page 167, you have to remove the sump and pump motor and its attached to the bottom of the sump housing.