AUSSIE- Repair Tech.
AUSSIE- Repair Tech., Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Tech with 12 years experience in the Industry.
55003593

My electrician is not sure how to wire in my Asko induction

Customer Question

My electrician is not sure how to wire in my Asko induction top..it has 5 Black/Brown/Grey/Blue and Earth wires but the connection is not three phase
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  bonzaco replied 5 months ago.

Could you let me have the model number and I will get the wiring diagram for you - Ian

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's an Asko HI 1643 ..4 hot plates no bridging zone he simply needs to know which of the 5 wires to join together as some idiot at the kitchen cabinet makers has chopped off the wire ends from when it was previously installed (long story)
Expert:  bonzaco replied 5 months ago.

OK if you look at the terminal block under the hob the connections are as follows

Terminals 1 & 2 link and are the live supply

Terminal 3 is left vacant

Terminal 4 & 5 link and are the neutral supply

Terminal 6 is the earth. I am assuming that you are using 220 volts single phase?

I attach the Asko handbook - http://www.asko.co.nz/kitchen/cooktops/induction/hi1643g -- then instructions for use and connection page 19.

Hope that sort out the problem, come back to me if you need further help, in the meantime would you kindly rate the information given by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page. Thank you for using JA and have a good day - Ian

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
we are trying to connect to 220 single phase ..I didn't really want to have to interfere with the hob itself if it could have been avoided but it seems it's the only way to determine what color wire is what...why is it so difficult.. Wiring diagrams don't talk about which color is what and my qualified electrician is equally baffled..thanks for the advice
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Looked at the unit this afternoon..trying to get to the wiring inside the unit is a major dismantling job..I really don't want my jobbing electrician doing that..Ill get him to call Asko helpline so sorry your advice worthless..why us is it so difficult??
Expert:  bonzaco replied 5 months ago.

Well I have to say I'm disappointed its not much of a job to take a cover off. Its not difficult but you make it more so by shortcutting - all you have to do is take the hob out turn it over and connect as suggested. But as you say worthless to someone who doesnt know what he is doing.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I didn't shortcut I'm trying to help out my electrician I think he knows what he is doing which is to ensure my appliance works my question was very specific but I'll pass your advice on to him thanks
Expert:  bonzaco replied 5 months ago.

Look from the installation instructions forwarded it is obvious that the cable was connected by the original cabinet makers I see nothing in the hob specifications that refers to a connecting cable. As I said all you have to do is take the old cable off and wire in a new one using the connections I have already given you. This may help you -- https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiUl5GVm9fNAhXBJ8AKHToWBNsQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Felise.ema.gov.sg%2Fsafety%2Fguidelines.html&psig=AFQjCNGWEhAnQEJW9xZjXorPAqUkdxb5RQ&ust=1467632444920977

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry I'm going to terminate this discussion..there is no extra connecting cable..the original cable from the unit has 5 wires..black..grey..blue..green and yellow and brown..he knows which are live my question and his was which should be interconnected ..easy you might think... clearly not ...if he dismantles it to find the underlying wiring and it doesn't work afterwards then I'm in for a big bill from Asko hence why I asked what I thought was a simple question ..my bad as the kids say