Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

I have a Simpson Eziset 6.5kg washing machine, it is about 5

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Simpson Eziset 6.5kg washing machine, it is about 5 years old and over the past 6 months has developed an intermittent 'ratchet' noise (sorry that's my best description) when in the wash cycles. It's like teeth skipping over a gear. Apart from that the machine works fine. Had an accredited service tech out to check it out and he advised that it could be a number of things, could need to replace the clutch, could require a new motor, he wasn't sure. He said he could replace the clutch (which we would have to pay for on top of his home visit charge) and that may not fix the problem. I'm not prepared to pay this guy for something which he can't guarantee will fix the problem. I would like to pull the washing machine apart and have a look at it myself and maybe spend the few dollars to replace the clutch (I can get the partsd online) but I can't find a service manual anywhere. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

It may be that the agitator is making the noise, especially if it is a two piece agitator.

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi KellyThe model number is ***** Further, it is actually a 7.5kg not a 6.5kg as mentioned in my initial email, probably doesn't make any difference.Look forward to hearing from you.RegardsMike
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

In the diagram at the link below, number 4 is what holds the agitator in. Can you remove that bolt and pull the agitator out and inspect the splines for wear?

CLICK HERE

The rest of the parts breakdowns are shown at the link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Kelly
Okay so I pulled the agitator out and checked the splines. It is a little difficult to see if they are worn or not as I don't know exactly what they should look like when they are new. I tried to manually agitate the agitator and the splines seemed to grip the spindle okay, although I probably can't actually recreate the real situation of a wash cycle. If I had to say one way or the other I would say that the splines are a little worn, but whether they are worn enough to be making the ratchet noise I can't say with absolute certainty. I did notice that each of the 'fins' on the bottom of the agitator had small chunk broken out of them in exactly the same place on each fin, as if something had been caught underneath the agitator at some stage and the rotation of the agitator had caused the object to pierce each fin in turn. I would probably be happy to replace the agitator, but only if this guaranteed fixing the problem as the agitator is worth $100+. The machine works well apart from the annoying noise, but it is 5+ years old so I don't know how much money is reasonable to spend on repairing it.
RegardsMike
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just another point, if the agitator was the problem would the ratchet sound be muffled by the water in the tub? Because at the moment the ratchet sound is very clear and crisp and doesn't sound muffled.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi again Kelly, I did a recording of the sound and was going to upload it to you, however, your site won't let me upload a wma file, any suggestions?
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

If it was worn enough to make noise at the agitator, it would have been pretty obvious. Is the noise more of a metal type ratcheting noise from the transmission maybe? Can you upload the recording to YouTube?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Kelly, I managed to convert the sound file to a format that will upload. Hope it works and helps you diagnose the problem. Thanks
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

That worked perfect, nice job! That sounds like a suspension type noise.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Which means????
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Sorry, the rest of my message got cut off. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

If you raise the top of the machine, in each corner the suspension rods hang from the top. Using a lithium grease, can you lubricate the number 13 in the diagram below?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, will give it a try and let you know. Thanks
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Roger that, thanks!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Kelly. Lubricated number 13 as directed but the annoying noise remains.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
One other thing that just occurred to me to mention is that the noise only occurs in the initial wash cycle, not in any of the other cycles.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Can you tell at all from what area the noise comes from?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I would have to say from the lower part of the machine.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Maybe a bit of grease at the lower contact points of the suspension rods...

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Kelly, I'll give it a go. Incidentally, I found a You Tube video which has a Simpson washer with a noise problem which sounds almost identical to what I've got, have a look/listen and see what you think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5qlbeZbVFs
They seem to think it's a clutch problem.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Is yours allowing the tub to index that much and twisting the clothes up?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not really sure that I can answer that. We can't view the agitator in action because of the lid cut off switch and at the end of the cycle when we remove the clothes sometimes they are tangled sometimes not.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

The clothes come out all twisted and tied up in knots when it has issues like that. Also, it would occur in all cycles during agitation.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
given the video, what are your thoughts about the noise now?
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

I still think it is suspension related if the clothes are not getting tied up in knots.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, I will lubricate the lower parts of the suspension rods and let you know how things go. Thanks
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Kelly, sprayed lower suspension rods, no effect, however, I have confirmed that noise definitely comes from underneath the washing machine. It is very loud when I put my ear level down at floor level.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Sounds to be from the drive components underneath then. I am not sure exactly what without being there to hear it and track the noise down, though.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Kelly, further information.
I put the washing machine up on blocks and was able to view the machine underneath when it was operating and hear, and more importantly see where the noise was coming from. Underneath the machine there is a pulley wheel which is attached to the central shaft of the agitator, just above this, is a white plastic toothed gear which spins and hooks into another white fitting (is this the clutch?), this is the source of the noise, either the toothed gear or the 'thing' that hooks into the gear. Hope this helps.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

There are several parts that make up the clutch assembly. They are at the link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Kelly, the 'exploded' view diagrams you sent me don't actually show the clutch assembly, can you send me the relevant diagram. Thanks
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

I do not have any other diagrams, that is all that is available. I will place your question back to the list in case another may have.