Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.

An omega OG60XA gas cooktop (without flame detection)

Customer Question

An omega OG60XA gas cooktop (without flame detection) becomes disabled with minimal cooking splatter. 3 of 4 burner sparks typically become disabled and gas apparently shuts down (despite no flame detection). Cleaning the cooktop with domestic cleaning spray rectifies the problem. The tenant is distraught. Is it possibly a hardware fault?
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

I would look closely at the earth ground connection to the cooktop. The ignition system is heavily dependent upon having a good ground to work properly. Plug polarity (line and neutral) is important, too. Are you able to test the outlet for proper wiring?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The entire building is new and was electrically certified about 14 months ago.
It is unlikely that power point connections is the problem because, as I said, "cleaning the cook top with domestic cleaning spray rectifies the problem."
It seems cooking splatter is affecting the problem somehow either by way of electrical insulation or shorting ignition spark.
Once cleaned, the gas flow makes a slow recovery as the cook top returns to normal operation.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Cooking splatter should not make that much difference unless they use a tremendous amount of grease and are messy cooks. I agree that wiring is probably okay. How are the flames when they are on? Do they appear to be adequate size or small?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi,it's 7.30 Sunday morning here in Australia.
Once cleaned, flame will start on one burner with a minimal flame (about 4 mm) high and then make a full and healthy recovery on all burners.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

That sounds like more of a gas supply issue. Is it LP or natural gas fed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Natural gas with regulator. But why would it reestablish gas flow after cleaning? Tested twice now.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

It sounds like a design flaw if it shuts down with splatter. I am not sure, I will place your question back to the list to see if maybe anyone else has come across this.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Have been waiting days for response. Is the matter still open or abandoned?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Regrettably, as you have abandoned my enquiry I have no option other than to retrieve fee.
The problem was solved by adjustment of gas regulator for higher gas outflow.