Experience:  Owner at Dales Electronic

Trying to open my door on J1045. I have the top off but cannot

Customer Question

Trying to open my door on J1045. I have the top off but cannot shift the plastic tab. Any sufpggestions
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a drum full of washed clothes but the door is stuck..
JA: OK got it. Last thing — AU Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.
Power off - can you now unplug the door lock from its cable? If they are singly connected make a note of where they go (most are a single moulded plug.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Where is the cable underneath the molded plug
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can't get the cable out
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have the machine upright as it is heavy with the clothes in
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.
OK power off at wall leave it about 5 mins and try again. - Cable comes in from underneath and you will have to wiggle it as its usually quite stiff. Note which way it comes out.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My son in law is here soon. I'll get him to try.after I get the cable out. What is the next step?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.
OK to explain there is a small heater in the door lock (called an interlock) which is energised when the appliance is working and pushes a locking lever across when hot. When it ends the cycle the lever pushes back and you can open the door. Often the lever jams in the locked position or the main pcb doesn't cut off the power (far more rare) If you remove the power to the appliance no power can go to the interlock so if the interlock is OK after a short delay you can open the door. If however the lock doesnt let you in, you have to break it off from the inside by wiggling it until it breaks. The most important thing here is to make sure you keep a note of where the wires fit as getting wiring diagrams is like finding 'hens teeth' almost impossible. So to reiterate, power off, give it five minutes and try and get in, if not its hand down the front and break off the door lock keeping note of the cable connections - Ian
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I'll get back to you
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.
No worries I'll be around somewhere
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've found the problem. It is the door catch that is broken. It probably needs a new door
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.
OK I think if I remember correctly the door catch is available as a separate item - glad you got to the bottom of it. Would you now kindly rate the information given by using the star rating at the top of the page. This allows me to close the job down on the system whilst allowing you to ask more questions if you need. Thank you for using JA and have a good day. Ian