John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

My Samsung Fridge/Freezer side by side will not work

Customer Question

My Samsung Fridge/Freezer side by side will not work after twelve months in storage.
Is there a simple solution, or a reset button.
Front panels on both fridge and freezer light up and register internal temperature.
When it was delivered I plugged it into protected mains outlet and it tripped the safety breaker.
I am currently running it from my generator but there is no cooling.
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.
I will look for the necessary technical information I need, so I can assist you, and I'll get back to you. Thank you.
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.
Are you able to connect the fridge to a different plug, on another breaker?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes trips all breakers as all are earth leakage circuit breakers. I ran it off my portable generator- it did not trip the generator breaker and all front panel lights and controls work but it does not cool or freeze.
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.
Major appliances should not be powered through GFI receptacles. They draw to much current and create to many electrical disturbances large enough to trip such devices.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As I said in my last response I then powered the fridge from my 3KVA portable generator. The unit would not cool or freeze and it did not trip the gender breaker. It seems that the compressor is not providing the coolant action
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.
There are two things I can think of. First, check the condenser coil radiator to see if dust and lint are blocking the air flow. If that seems OK, you'll need a refrigeration technician to check the refrigerant charge, and perform an eyes on diagnosis. Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Your advice was too generalised in nature. I was seeking some specific advice pertaining to the refrigerator model,and in particular the location of components that I should be checking/testing. I was hoping that you or others would be familiar with this Samsung model and its components.
In summary I am none the wiser for the experience and the money that I paid.
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.
Unless you have the special diagnostic tools and knowledge to perform tests on the sealed refrigeration system, and a license to do so, you'll need to call a technician.