Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

I have an air con on an internal wall with a water pump

Customer Question

Hi , I have an air con on an internal wall with a water pump fitted externally. It makes a shocking noise every minute or so and even after I turn it off it continues to make the noise and I have to turn it off at the board to stop it. Are there less noisy pumps on the market and which would you recommend.? Thank you
Catherine
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! I don't think replacing the pump will solve the issue. It should not be running every minute, it is getting told to do so for some reason.

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly, I am trying to locate more information for you. These 2 air cons are located in an apartment we own in Melbourne and we are in WA so I cannot look at them. The units are in fact Mitsubishis and one is 2.25 and one is 5. The smaller one makes a bigger noise. Not perhaps as close as one minute apart, maybe five. The noise sounds like a pipe organ and is three distinct notes! The bigger unit does the same thing but not as loudly. What has me concerned is the fact that I can only stop the noise by switching off the units in the power box otherwise they were still doing it after 12 hours! This just can't be right. My daughter has had the installer back but he says everything is as it should be! I'm sorry Ai can't provide any more information. My husband has emailed the installer for details but the email was returned as unable to be delivered.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I agree with you in that it should not be running in those intervals, even if five minutes apart. Does it make that noise even when the units are turned off? Not the mains off but just the units themselves.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand that it is normal for the pump to work for a little while to clear the last of the water but mine just keep going
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the float or sensor, depending on the model, is likely having issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We wondered this at the outset but the installer insists that it is not, he has subsequently not answered any of our questions and we have been left with a system that is fine in winter when the pump is not required but a nightmare in summer.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Very poor service from the installer, I am sorry you are having to go through that. It may be that it was not installed properly and the fix may be time consuming and the installer knows this and does not want to make it right because it will not be billable time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your input, I am heading back to Melbourne soon to try and rectify the problem. I will engage another company but at least I have an idea of what is most likely the problem and I can start from there. Can you tell me in your opinion what the best brand of pump is for this job?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The pumps are usually matched to the units, and I don;t think there is an issue with the pump but with the sensor with the sensor that controls the pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for your help.
Catherine
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, thank you!