Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

I have a hoover 500m everything works fine except the spin

Customer Question

Customer: i have a hoover 500m everything works fine except the spin cycle. my name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: was working fine until a few days ago whatever teh wash cycle the machine will do the full cycle pump out water but never spins
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Australia Whitegoods Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The pressure switch must detect that the water has drained before the tub will be allowed to spin. Does the pump continue to run until the end of the cycle or what happens toward the end of the cycle when it should be spinning?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Kelly thanks for your reponse,
i think the pump keeps going till the end of the cycle, but im not sure, will just pit it though part of a cycle and rinse and spin and see what happens.if it is related to the pressure switch is there a way i can test it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
as far as i can tell the pump stays thoughout the spin cycle
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

The pressure switch is mounted at the top of the cabinet, just under the main top when it is removed. The pressure switch will have a very small hose leading to it. If you remove that hose and blow through it (the hose), does air easily pass?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi again
i have tested the hose, it needs a bit of pressure to blow air through. i also noticed the switch at the bottom on the pressure switch and have put the machine on a spin cycle and manually moved it up and down, nothing happened.
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

I suspect the pressure switch may need replacing. Does the fill level at the start of the wash cycle seem to be appropriate?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The fill levels seem fine. i will order a new pressure switch and see if that fixes the problem.
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Sounds good, keep me posted.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Kellysorry is hs taken a while to get back to you, i am away with work and the pressure switch arrived yesterday. i had a mate help my wife install it, however it the spin cycle still doesnt work. any other ideas?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Is the water draining out well? What exactly happens after it stops the wash cycle and should go into the drain and spin setting?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
water drains well, as before everything seems fine but the machine doesn't spin at all during the spin cycle
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

It could be an issue with the secondary switch in the lock assembly that is not getting closed so the door will not open when the tub is spinning. Does the door lock securely?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
this is a top loading machine, so it doesn't have a door lock
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

May I please have your complete model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Kelly
We ended up getting a guy to come look at the machine. the timer is broken, and not available anymore.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

I understand, thank you.