Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

Our F & P wash machine 1: has become very noisy on spin, and

Customer Question

Our F & P wash machine 1: has become very noisy on spin, and 2: leaks a little onto the floor when filled to 'high' or left on soak.
The noise sounds like a bearing noise to me. I don't know if the two problems are related, or two separate problems.
The machine is not new, maybe around 20 yrs old, but otherwise in good condition and still washes clothes OK.
Model GW611 Excellence, ser no UKA833849
Thanks,
Geoff Seymour
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! I suspect the tub seal has been leaking and the bearing has been damaged by the water. Usually, if you look around the inside of the cabinet at about the level of the bottom of the tub, you will see overspray on the cabinet walls when that is the case. Can you get a look under the machine and let me know what you see, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I spent a bit of time on the w/machine yesterday (I'm now retired but was an electrician by trade, and a long time ago-1970- I spent a few months working for appliance manufacturer Simpson Pope, in Sydney, doing appliance repairs, before reverting to general electrical trade work with a supply authority and as an electrical contractor).
I just checked for the overspray at the level of the bottom of the tub. There's no indication of any overspray at that level. There are indications of splashes on the inside of the cabinet, but they come right from the top, which must be splashes over the rim of the tub when it is full- which it is most times it's used.
Yesterday I removed the inner tub, after downloading some diagrams (exploded views) which indicated there were two roller bearings, one above the other, where the inner tub fitted over the drive shaft. However, there didn't appear to be roller bearings, just sleeves which were held in place by the plastic moulding of the tub, which did not appear to be removable or replaceable. They seemed to be still in fairly good condition, shiny and smooth and not pitted, so I just cleaned everything up (there was plenty of muddy gunk coating the outside of the inner tub, and inside of the outer tub), greased it as best I could and put it back together and ran thru a cycle. It did seem to be a little quieter.
It still leaked a bit, but I think the leak is coming from the pump, and is a separate problem. The pump is not noisy- it pumps out before the spin starts, and noise level then is ok.
So noise appears to be from tub bearings- but they are built in to the tub and not replaceable, as far as I can tell. Is this right?
Cheers,
Geoff Seymour. (02 44 724 790)
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The bearing is replaceable and is available below. It is pressed into the outer tub but is removable.

CLICK HERE

The bearings are shown as number 6 in the breakdown on page 18 of the manual at the link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay in replying, been a bit busy with other things, and will be for the next few days. Will contact you again next week.
Thanks,
Geoff Seymour
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly,
I realised shortly after I sent my email that the bearings must be further down, in the outer tub, since that is where the shaft is rotating and the tub stationary. How easy are they to access and replace? I suppose the seal also needs replacing, and both bearings or only one? Does the outer tub need to be removed, or is there access from underneath?
A leaking seal would explain both the damaged bearing and the water leak, as the leak is most obvious when wash is left to soak.
Sorry this has been a bit drawn out, we've been away a few days.
Thanks
Geoff Seymour
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The bearings are at the very bottom and will require complete teardown of the machine. The tub will have to come out, everything will need to be taken apart.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thank you for that advice, I will now decide whether to repair or replace.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.