Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

I have a Simpson Encore 605 that's stopped spinning the load

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Simpson Encore 605 that's stopped spinning the load dry. Pumps out ok, but not spinning. May be related that it had been wrapping towels and sheets etc really tightly around the agitator for the past week or so. Any ideas?
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The wrapping towels and sheets is indicative of internal issues within the transmission. Given the other issues and the age of the machine, I would strongly recommend replacing it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that, but I need a bit more detail please. There aren't really any other issues (the button covers are just cosmetic), but I'd like to know how difficult a repair is it? Have you done a tear-down on one of these yourself? Yes, a transmission problem is possible, but as far as I can tell (by googling) it may simply be a broken or worn plastic pawl (if that's the word) that stops the outer tub turning while it's agitating or spinning. Or even just a slipping belt, or maybe the brake/clutch thing is engaged and not coming off. If it is the transmission (which is only a small gearbox, right), how easy is it to repair or replace that? What would ballpark costs be for parts, and how many hours labour. A new machine will set us back $800 to $1,000 so if this repair is $300 ... or if the parts are only $50 and I can do it myself, it'd be worth it to keep the thing going for another couple of years. A clearer steer would be appreciated, thanks.